In October 1945 the French art dealer Aimé Maeght opens his art gallery at 13 Rue de Téhéran in Paris. His beginning coincides with the end of World War II and the return of a number of exiled artists back to France.
The magazine was created in October 1946 ( Issue n°1) and published without interruption until 1982 (Issue n°253). Its original articles and illustrations (mainly original color stone lithographs by the gallery artists) were famous at the time and continue to be highly prized, traded and collected to this day.
The magazine covered only the artists exhibited by Maeght Gallery either through personal or group exhibitions. Among them are Henri-George Adam, Pierre Alechinsky, Bacon, Jean Bazaine, Georges Braque, Pol Bury, Alexander Calder, Marc Chagall, Roger Chastel, Eduardo Chillida, Alberto Giacometti,Vassily Kandinsky, Ellsworth Kelly, Fernand Leger, Linder, Henri Matisse, KJoan Miro, Jacques Monory, Pablo Palazuelo, Paul Rebeyrolle, Jean-Paul Ripopelle, Saul Steinberg, Pierre Tal-Coat, Antoni Tapies, Raul Ubac, and Barm van Velde.